Posted inIce Hockey

Hockey coaches suspended after U-13 boys repeatedly entered women’s locker room

An incident involving two U-13 boys hockey players repeatedly entering the locker room of a Toronto women’s team has led to suspensions for several coaching staff members but not the players involved.

The Ontario Hockey Federation (OHF) ruled late last month that the two members of the Toronto Young Nationals violated the organization’s code of conduct. Neither youth was sanctioned by the OHF’s discipline panel, according to the written decision issued July 27.

The two boys had been accused of repeatedly entering a dressing room being used by the Toronto Cyclones women’s team while several players were changing and showering.

Was anyone punished?

According to TSN, Nationals head coach Paul Tamburro and three members of the team’s coaching staff were suspended for 10 regular-season games and ordered to complete online courses on gender-based violence in sport and the proper supervision of players.

The OHF panel explained its decision not to suspend either player who entered the Cyclones locker room, saying the pair had apologized.

“Their actions were inappropriate and caused harm,” the panel wrote. “The panel also recognizes that both players apologized, expressed remorse, and accepted responsibility for their conduct … The panel instead considers a broader educational and restorative response to be more appropriate.”

What did the women’s players say?

Two members of the Toronto Cyclones spoke out about the incident, telling TSN’s Rick Westhead that they felt the public should be aware of what happened at Scotiabank Pond Arena on March 1.

Sarah Emara said the incident “was not an accident” and that each time the boys opened the door, it was accompanied by laughter.

“After the third time, I made eye contact with the boys who entered and I got dressed and went out to ask where their coach was,” Emara said.

“It was not an accident. They came into the room three or four times. When I was looking for their coaches or parents, a man walked over and told me, ‘It’s OK. They’re 12 years old. They don’t know any better.’ I said that was unacceptable.

“The kids are standing there just giggling and laughing and by that time, some of their parents were also there saying, ‘This is OK. Boys will be boys.’ That’s what they said, literally word for word: Boys will be boys. That just baffled me.”

Katie Armstrong said they are telling their story because the incident illustrates how hockey culture can allow these types of incidents to be dismissed with limited accountability and, too often, a lax punishment.

“I think being conditioned as a woman in the culture of sports, you’re taught to say, ‘Oh no, it’s fine, it’s fine,’ ” Armstrong said. “But it should be taken seriously, even small instances like this. Women are taught to almost feel shame over bringing something like this up. It’s important that you see how things like this start and that there are different levels.”

According to TSN, Tamburro did not respond to a request for comment. Nationals acting general manager Lucy Carvalho wrote that the organization would not comment on the OHF discipline committee’s findings or the disciplinary outcomes.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *